News and Projects
Here you will find regular updates on the following, click each link to jump to that section:
- Costumes used in past Georgian Fairs in the town are available now for hire by groups and individuals. Please see the link in Resources for details.
- There are two links in Related Links for those interested in Roman history and archaeological remains in Papcastle, discovered during recent digs. The Discover Derventio website looks specifically at the most recent dig in Papcastle, with lots of photos and information about the skeleton and artefacts discovered there. Anyone interested in taking part in future digs can also make contact, via this website, with the person in charge of the project, Mark Graham. The Grampus Heritage site looks more generally at archaeology projects undertaken by the company of the same name, locally and further afield.
- We are looking for personal accounts and memories relating to local people's experiences of the Coronavirus pandemic. This will be an important record in years to come - please get in touch..
- New acquisitions include many photographic albums detailing school-life at the former Cockermouth Grammar School from the 1940s onwards: theatrical productions, form photographs, sports teams, outings. We hope to be able to put these on display at future exhibitions.
- Coronavirus restrictions sadly halted our planned display for the Wordsworth commemoration in April at the Kirkgate Centre, together with the planned publication of an accompanying book on Georgian Cockermouth ('Wordsworth's Cockermouth'). The book is planned for publication later in the year.
VE Day commemorations in May were to have included a display at Cockermouth Library. In its place we are contributing to Allerdale Libraries' plans for an online display instead, providing images and text about the town's experiences during WWII.
Back to top of page
- We have an ongoing project to record all the memorial inscriptions in Cockermouth Cemetery, which will provide a useful tool for family historians in particular. The older half of the cemetery has been completed by a team of volunteers – many thanks to them for their resilience in the face of inclement weather! This project has taken much longer than originally envisaged, but we are confident that it will prove to be a very useful resource. Work has begun on recording the headstones in the other half of the Cemetery – any volunteers will be warmly welcomed! Current listings can be found in Resources
- Cockermouth's Theatrical History - A Pictorial History - A link to this site can be found in
- We are currently undertaking a major cataloguing project of all our artefacts and photographs (using a cataloguing programme called MODES) which, when completed, will make locating items for exhibitions and research much easier and quicker.